Air fryer fish and chips come out perfectly crispy and delicious without the mess of deep-frying!
Crispy, crunchy fish fillets are battered and air-fried along with homemade fries for a whole meal made easy in the air-fryer!
This favorite meal lightens up a deep-fried favorite into a great weeknight meal!
Our Fave Air-Fryer Fish
Less oil means less fat! Who says you have to give up your favorite foods while keeping your health in check?
Any kind of white fish (we love cod or halibut) can be used in this recipe. It comes out tender and flaky.
Ingredients & Variations
For this recipe, we chose fresh (or frozen) fillets of cod or halibut. Be sure they’ve fully thawed before coating so the batter sticks. Any white fish can be substituted.
The fish is dipped in egg and then in pancake mix. Any pancake mix will work in this recipe. The fish is then dredged in seasoned breadcrumbs for a crispy coating.
Since they’re starchy, russet potatoes are great in this recipe. Just like when we make oven fries, these are soaked in water for a bit first to remove some of the starch on the outside and help them to crisp nicely.
Be sure the potatoes are really dry before adding oil so they crisp instead of steaming in the air fryer.
Got a favorite seasoning blend for the fish or potatoes? Add it to the breading or sprinkle it on the potatoes and fry away! Or, try our homemade seasoning mixes like taco, Greek, fajita, Cajun, or even powdered ranch dressing mix!
How to Cook Fish in Air Fryer
With the air fryer in the game, perfect fish and chips have never been easier to make!
- Prep fries, toss in oil and season. Add to air fryer.
- While fries are cooking mix breading mixtures for fish (per recipe below).
- Bread fish and add to air fryer. Cook until flaky.
- Add fries back to the air fryer and heat through.
The best way to cook fish in an air fryer is to make sure the fish fillets are uniformly sized and that the breading is pressed into each piece all the way around. Prepare the breading and press into the fish so it sticks so each piece fries into a crispy, crunchy morsel!
Storing and Reheating Fish and Chips
For leftovers, keep them all together in an airtight container or a zippered bag in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat and re-crisp fish and chips, place them in the air fryer for about 5 minutes on 350°F or until heated through (this will vary based on thickness). Don’t forget the tartar sauce!
Air Fryer Favorites
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders – seasoned & breaded
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Scallops – sweet & salty
- Air Fryer Steak – ready in 20 minutes!
- Air Fryer Pork Chops – ready in under an hour
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken – juicy & delicious
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings – only takes 30 minutes
- Air Fryer Salmon – use fresh or frozen fillets
- Air Fryer Egg Rolls – crispy & delicious
Did your family love these Air Fryer Fish & Chips? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Air Fryer Fish & Chips
- 2 russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 ½ pounds cod fillets or other white fish
- 1 cup pancake mix dry
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon old bay seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper each
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Scrub potatoes and cut into ¼" fries.
- Place fries in a large bowl of cold water and soak for 30 minutes. Drain well and dab dry.
- Toss fries with oil and salt.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F.
- Place the potatoes in the basket and cook for 10 minutes. Shake the potatoes and cook an additional 6-8 minutes or until crisp. Remove from the air fryer and place on a plate.
- While fries are cooking, prepare fish. Place pancake mix in a shallow bowl.
- Combine buttermilk and egg in a second bowl and combine bread crumbs and seasonings in a third bowl.
- Dab fish dry with a paper towel. Dip in egg mixture and then into pancake mixture.
- Dip back into the egg mixture and then into the bread crumbs. Spray generously with cooking spray.
- Once the fries are removed, add fish to the air fryer and cook at 390°F for 12 minutes or until cooked through and flaky. Do not overcook.
- Add fries back to the air fryer and cook 1-2 minutes to heat through.
Fish cook time can vary based on thickness.
Thicker fries may need more time, thinner fries may need a bit less time. Appliances can vary but it is easy to check on the fries a couple of minutes early and add more time if needed.
To Make More Fries cook several smaller batches. Once ready to serve, add all fries to the air fryer basket and cook at 390°F for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!