CrockPot Beef Stew is one of my all-time favorite slow cooker meals.
This hearty slow cooker stew beef stew recipe is packed with flavor. Tender chunks of beef, carrots, potatoes, and peas (or green beans) are cooked in rich brown gravy.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Ingredients for this beef stew CrockPot recipe are beef chuck or stew beef, root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, and fresh peas or beans.
Beef for Stew: The best beef for beef stew is chuck steak or chuck roast. Chuck is a flavorful cut of beef from the shoulder and front end of the animal. You may have to cut it into cubes yourself. It is perfect for Crock Pot Beef Stew or pot roast because when cooked low and slow, it becomes fork-tender and buttery in texture with a rich, beefy flavor.
If you don’t have chuck, stewing beef works well in this recipe too.
Broth: Use regular beef broth (not low sodium) for the best results. The broth is flavored with vegetable juice, rosemary and thyme.
If you have red wine on hand, it’s a great addition to this stew (although it is optional). Substitute a cup of a hearty dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot, for one cup of the beef broth and use it to deglaze the pan you used for browning the meat.
Vegetables: This crockpot stew recipe uses carrots, potatoes, and celery. You can add extra vegetables like turnips or mushrooms if you’d like.
How to Make Beef Stew in a Crock Pot
I love a classic beef stew recipe, but if I’m not going to be home or want to prepare dinner early, this easy slow cooker recipe is just as delicious. Crock Pot stew comes together in just a few simple steps.
- Toss the beef in the flour-garlic powder mixture to coat per the recipe below, and brown in olive oil in batches. Don’t crowd the pan. (You can skip this step, but the browning adds great flavor to the stew).
- Sauté the onion in the same pan (use a bit of broth or red wine to help deglaze and add any brown bits to your crock pot).
- Add everything to the slow cooker (I use a 6qt crock pot) and cook until the beef is tender. Stir in peas before serving.
Ladle this beef stew into bowls and serve with crusty bread or homemade dinner rolls.
How Long to Cook Beef Stew in a Crock Pot: This is the best slow cooker beef stew recipe since it’s a set-it-and-forget-it kind of meal. Cook it on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 8-9 until the meat is tender. You can leave it on warm for an additional hour or so if needed.
To Thicken Beef Stew in the Crock Pot: I use a cornstarch slurry (equal parts cornstarch and water) and add it in at the end. Allow it to cook about 10 minutes after adding the slurry to get rid of any starchy flavor.
Leftover CrockPot Beef Stew
Leftovers will keep for about 3-4 days in the fridge.
Freezing Beef Stew: CrockPot Beef Stew freezes really well, so make plenty for those quick-fix meal nights. Leave about an inch of headspace for expansion in plastic containers, and the stew will keep for 4 months in the freezer.
Did your family love this Crockpot Beef Stew recipe? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Crock Pot Beef Stew
- 2 pounds beef chuck or stewing beef
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups beef broth *see note
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cups potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 cups carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup celery cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup vegetable juice such as V8
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 sprig fresh
- ½ teaspoon thyme or 2 sprigs fresh
- ¾ cup peas
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine flour, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of salt & ½ teaspoon of black pepper to taste. Toss the beef in the flour mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat in a large frying pan or skillet. Add the beef and brown in batches, about 2 minutes per side. Place the beef in the bottom of a 6qt slow cooker.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add the onion and cook until tender. Add the onion to the slow cooker.
- Add 1 cup of beef broth (or red wine per the recipe notes below) to the pan and scrape up any brown bits with a spatula.
- Add the broth to the slow cooker along with the remaining 3 cups of broth, potatoes, carrots, celery, vegetable juice, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme, and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 8-9 hours or until beef is tender.
- Mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir into the stew a little bit at a time to thicken (you may not need all of the cornstarch mixture). Stir in peas.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until thickened and heated through. Season with salt & pepper.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!