Juicy shredded chicken in a zesty sauce, this Crockpot BBQ Chicken needs just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes prep. The slow cooker does the rest!
Boneless chicken breasts are cooked in a rich BBQ sauce and then shredded. Serve this saucy meal over dinner rolls, hamburger buns, or even over mac and cheese for the perfect meal!
Here’s Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
- It takes just 5 minutes to prepare. Chop an onion, toss all ingredients in the slow cooker and set it and forget it!
- It needs just 5 ingredients plus buns/slaw for serving!
- The chicken comes out so tender and flavorful, you can practically shred it with a spoon.
- BBQ chicken sandwiches make a great weeknight meal or can be served at a party to feed a crowd.
- If you’re having a get-together, prep as directed and leave it on warm in the slow cooker so your guests can serve themselves.
This recipe is made with a handful of staple ingredients!
- CHICKEN – Boneless skinless chicken breasts are a favorite in this recipe but chicken thighs work too. If you only have split chicken breasts, be sure to remove the skin before adding to the slow cooker and remove the bones once cooked.
- LIQUID We add a bit of broth or beer to cook the chicken. We love the flavor beer adds, a lighter beer works best in this recipe. No beer? No Problem! Skip the beer and use chicken broth.
- BARBECUE SAUCE – Use your favorite brand of barbecue sauce or homemade bbq sauce for this recipe. It is a primary flavor in this recipe, so pick the one you love! (My favorite bottled sauce is Sweet Baby Ray’s).
Try any of the following variations:
- Like it sweeter? Add a bit of brown sugar or some molasses.
- Feeling spicy? Add a diced jalapeno for a kick.
- No onions? Use 1 teaspoon of onion powder.
- Want it zesty? Stir in a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar.
How to Make Shredded Chicken in Crockpot
This recipe is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker
- Cover and cook until tender.
- Remove chicken and shred chicken using two forks. Stir in some of the juices and additional bbq sauce if desired.
How Long to Cook BBQ Chicken in a Slow Cooker
When it comes to making crock pot chicken right, we’ve got you covered!
- Cook on high about 4-5 hours.
- Cook low and slow is my preference and tends to keeps the chicken more tender. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Keep on warm once cooked and shredded to serve at gatherings.
When a meat thermometer reaches 165°F in the thickest part, dinner is served!
What to Serve with Crockpot BBQ Chicken
Add some grilled corn and one of the salads below!
Rolls and Wraps: Hamburger buns, ciabatta rolls, wraps, tortillas, dinner rolls (for sliders)
Keep in mind the shredded chicken will soak up the sauce as it sits so add some extra barbecue sauce if needed.
Pulled chicken freezes perfectly, just put it in a freezer bag with the date on it – it should keep for a couple of months in the freezer!
More Chicken Sandwich Recipes
Did you make this Crockpot BBQ Chicken Recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Crock Pot BBQ Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breasts approx. 4 breasts
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cups barbecue sauce divided
- ½ cup light beer or chicken broth
- 8 hamburger buns
- Place chicken breast in the slow cooker and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Add onion, 1 cup barbecue sauce, and beer. Cook on low 6-7 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred using two forks. Ladle some of the juices into the chicken.
- Drizzle with remaining barbecue sauce and serve on hamburger buns with coleslaw.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!