This really is the best Egg Salad recipe, and it’s an easy favorite!
Nothing is more picnic perfect than hard-boiled eggs mixed with mayo and a pinch of mustard and of course crunchy with celery and green onions!
Whether you make an egg salad sandwich or a healthy egg salad using lettuce or low-carb wraps, nothing says ‘all American’ like egg salad!
How Long to Boil Eggs for Egg Salad
I use this method for perfect hard-boiled eggs every time. They come out with tender cooked whites and creamy yellow middles (without a grey ring).
- Bring the eggs to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove them from the heat and let them sit covered for 15-17 minutes (large eggs).
- Run under cold water and peel one to make sure it’s perfect.
How Fresh Are Your Eggs?
Are Your Eggs Fresh? The best egg salad recipe begins with great ingredients. Eggs that are really fresh can be difficult to peel when boiled, so opt to cook them in the air fryer or Instant Pot so they peel easily.
A fresh egg will lay on its side on the bottom of a bowl full of water, if it’s a little older, it’ll still sink but stay on one end. Don’t eat eggs if they float on the surface of the water, this means they’ve expired.
How to Make Egg Salad
Mash the yolks with mayonnaise until completely smooth, and then fold in the whites. This makes for the best egg salad; it comes out so creamy! Be sure to finely dice the onion and celery, so the pieces are smaller than the egg pieces.
- Cook, cool, and peel the eggs. Cut in half, remove the yolks, and chop the whites.
- Mash the egg yolks with the mayonnaise, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chopped egg whites and green onion, celery, and chopped fresh dill and mix well.
To Make Egg Salad Sandwiches
Chill the egg salad mixture for up to three days. Serve it on rolls or bread as an egg salad sandwich, over lettuce for a salad, or tucked into a wrap!
For a fresh take, try making an avocado egg salad with mashed avocado! It’s a healthy twist on an American classic!
PRO TIP: I use an egg slicer to chop the egg whites. Place them in the slicer, cut, and then turn the egg and place it through again. I use my egg slicer for other things, too like strawberries, kiwi, and it’s especially great for cutting mushrooms to make chicken marsala.
How Long Does Egg Salad Last?
You mean if there are any leftovers? Egg salad will last 3 to 4 days in the fridge. If it begins to get watery and lose its bright color, it should be discarded! Chances are, this egg salad recipe won’t last too long in your house!
Did you love this Egg Salad Recipe? Leave us a comment and a rating below!
Best Egg Salad Recipe
- 8 eggs hard boiled and cooled
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 1 rib celery finely diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill chopped
- Cut eggs in half. Remove yolks and chop whites.
- Mash yolks with mayonnaise, mustard and salt & pepper to taste until smooth and creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Serve on bread or over lettuce.
Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water ½″ above the eggs. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Cover and remove from heat.
Let stand covered for 15-17 minutes (for large eggs).
Remove from hot water and place in a bowl of ice water for 5 minutes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!